Now Hiring Web Developer
About the Role
Actual Size is looking for a local (Pittsburgh) or remote full-stack JS/React/Node.JS web developer, with enough WordPress/PHP experience to be dangerous.
You’d be helping us with a major education platform teaching middle and high school students about journalism and misinformation. It’s a large project, being built in React, Next.js, Typescript, and GraphQL, with significant complexity on the front-end (lesson videos, graphics, interactives) and back-end (user management, state machines, serverless GraphQL). You’ll also help us build things like: microsites for advocacy campaigns, full-size websites for large industry organizations, and mobile quiz apps for international audiences.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with a group of creative, experienced, and design-focused individuals who are committed to building meaningful products and communicating important messages. You will jump in and take ownership over projects and execute complex features with our support. You will grow as a developer and expand your skills in a collaborative environment.
- Work closely with designers and other front-end and back-end developers to bring digital projects and experiences to life.
- Build new projects from scratch.
- Address incoming issues and feature requests on existing and legacy projects.
- Optimize sites/applications for responsiveness and speed.
- Ensure projects meet established accessibility guidelines.
- Build reusable code and libraries for use now and in the future.
- Document code in-line and through READMEs and Wikis.
- Participate in code reviews and provide thoughtful & constructive feedback to other team members.
- Mentor junior developers and help grow the development team
- Great at documentation — all your code is thoroughly commented and you make it easy for other developers to jump in when needed. You always make sure your code and instruction works before handing it off. You ❤️ READMEs.
- Excellent communicator — you can’t live without Slack, but you’re also happy to jump on a call every once in a while. When issues arise, you flag them early and ask for help. If you’ve worked on a distributed, partially-remote development team before, that’s a plus!
- Passionate about mentorship — you want to learn and grow as a developer, and you love passing along what you know. You’ve worked with new programmers, learners, or folks more junior than you, and you take pride in helping them solve problems while allowing them to learn and take ownership over their projects.
- Craftsman — you take great pride in the quality of your work and appreciate the art and elegance of well-written code. Ensuring your workflows are efficient and magical is a pastime, and you’ve spent an embarrassing amount of hours styling your terminal. You keep up to date on modern tools, practices, and news in and around the web development world.
- Team player & solo artist — you’re equally happy working on a team as you are on your own. You don’t take constructive criticism personally, and are always trying to learn and grow. You can break large tasks apart into smaller ones, and pace yourself to complete them.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in writing code to solve creative problems
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or training from a bootcamp-type program
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please communicate this directly with the person scheduling your interview.
We work hard to maintain a safe and accessible in-office working environment at Actual Size that adheres to industry best practices, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Senior Leadership maintains open communication with each member of their team regarding accommodating remote work needs, while ensuring clear communication to support our collaborative work flow.
A Note about Qualifications and Experience
It is an unfortunate but obvious fact that women and BIPOC people are under-represented in the digital landscape. It is also a fact that people from under-represented groups tend not to apply for jobs unless they meet or exceed 100% of the qualifications. For that reason, women, BIPOC people, and other people who are under-represented in tech are encouraged to submit an application even if they do not meet all of the qualifications and experience recommendations. We’re incredibly excited to hear from you.
Actual Size is a branding and digital design agency connecting with target audiences through print, interactive, content development, and video for over 20 years. We’re small by design and selective with our clients and hires.
Our home is in Pittsburgh, PA, working with local and national brands like the Pittsburgh Steelers the Ford Motor Company, the News Literacy Project, and the Voter Participation Center.
We provide competitive salaries, medical benefits, simple IRA and professional development opportunities. Our brand new office is dog-friendly, and situated on Baum Boulevard in East Liberty/Shadyside (close to many restaurants and free on-street parking).
You will be focusing on two major projects.
Get in touch about this position
"*" indicates required fields